Commercial Auto Insurance in Vermont

Commercial Auto Insurance for Vermont Business

Do you or your employees use a car for business purposes? Whether your company owns a fleet of vehicles or employees occasionally use a personal auto for their job, commercial auto use requires commercial auto insurance. Like personal vehicles, Vermont requires commercial vehicles to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. This important policy will help to protect your business in case of an auto accident.

Start The Conversation
Commercial auto use spans a wide range of activities, and most personal auto policies exclude all or most business activities from coverage. If you or your employees are engaged in business activities and have an accident, whether in a company-owned vehicle or a personal vehicle, you will need commercial auto insurance to cover your liability. Common business activities requiring coverage include:

- Delivery of business goods

- Renting of a vehicle to others

- Transporting clients or potential clients

- Driving a vehicle equipped with specialized business equipment such as tools, toolboxes, and electronics.

Let's talk about what you need!

What are the Legal Requirements for Vermont Commercial Auto Insurance?

Just as with personal vehicle insurance, Vermont requires that all commercially-owned and driven policies have a minimum of liability insurance. This insurance helps to pay for bodily injury, property damage, and legal costs if you are found at-fault for an accident. Even if your employees drive their own vehicles, such as for pizza delivery, if they cause an accident while conducting business, your company can be held liable for the damages. Business auto insurance protects your company from these costs.

The amount of liability coverage you need depends on the type and purpose of your business vehicle. To fully understand your legal requirements, consult your agent for specific advice.

What Policies are Best for Your Business?

All business owners need business insurance in Vermont and commercial auto covers just that.. In addition to required bodily injury and property damage liability, you can purchase coverage including:

  1. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
  2. Medical Payments Coverage
  3. Collision
  4. Comprehensive Coverage (to help cover damages done by non-collision events such as theft, vandalism, and fire)
  5. Rental Car Coverage
  6. Cargo Coverage
  7. Hired Non-owned Coverage

If employees use their personal or rental vehicles for business, hired non-owned auto coverage can be added to your commercial auto or general liability policy. This coverage is often relatively inexpensive, allowing you the freedom to insure cars that you don’t own such that if an employee is involved in an accident your business liability is covered.

Learn How to Protect Your Business

The amount of liability coverage you purchase will depend largely on the frequency and purpose of your vehicle usage. However, you should be aware that a single accident with severe injuries can cost over $1 million that your business may be held responsible for. Having adequate liability coverage for any auto use can save your business if this type of situation occurs.

Vermont requires that all vehicles be covered by a liability policy. Whether you own a company vehicle or if employees use their personal vehicles for business, you likely need coverage to fulfill your legal obligation and protect your business. With a variety of coverage options, you can choose the policy that works best for your business. Your agent can help you find the right policy for you.

Start the Conversation!